Skip to main content

 If I Cared About Children, Why Would I Vote for a Republican?


I’m at the age where I don’t have time for political games or fancy speeches. I care about children, real children, living children, vulnerable children, and I’ve watched long enough to see who actually protects them and who just talks about it. And when I look at the record, the real record, I keep coming back to one plain‑spoken question: If I cared about children, why would I vote for a Republican?

I’m not trying to be clever. I’m not trying to be partisan. I’m asking a moral question. Because if children matter, then actions matter. And when I look at what Republicans have actually done, not what they say on TV, not what they promise in speeches, I see a pattern that’s impossible to ignore. Republicans talk about children and family values constantly. They talk about innocence, morality, family values, protecting kids from danger. But when it comes time to act, when it comes time to protect children from hunger, abuse, exploitation, or neglect, they put everything else first. Ideology first. Donors first. Institutions first. Political advantage first. Culture‑war theatrics first. Protecting reputations first.
Children come somewhere after all that.

The Epstein scandal showed it clearly. It didn’t just expose a predator; it exposed a whole culture of protecting powerful men. Officials minimized the abuse, delayed investigations, protected institutions, avoided accountability, and dismissed victims. That wasn’t an accident. That wasn’t a one‑off. That was a pattern. And once you see that pattern, you start seeing it everywhere. Look at judges. Judge Thomas Low in Utah praised a convicted child rapist as an “extraordinary young man” while the victim sat in the courtroom. Judge Michael Gableman in Wisconsin reduced sentences for child sex offenders because he thought harsh punishment was “too extreme.” Judge John C. Murphy in Florida handed out lenient sentences in child exploitation cases like it was nothing. These aren’t isolated mistakes; they’re part of a long line of adults in power protecting adults instead of children.

Look at attorneys general. Texas under Ken Paxton became one of the most dangerous foster systems in America: children trafficked, raped, placed with known abusers, even lost in the system, and Paxton fought federal oversight instead of fixing it. Michigan’s Bill Schuette ignored early warnings about Larry Nassar. Ohio’s Mike DeWine received complaints about abuse in youth programs — including early warnings about the Strauss case- and didn’t act aggressively. Florida’s Pam Bondi dragged her feet on trafficking investigations. Missouri’s Josh Hawley ignored early reports of abuse in youth programs while focusing on political ambitions. Louisiana’s Jeff Landry failed to act on exploitation complaints tied to politically connected individuals. These failures harmed real children.

And then there are the institutions. The Catholic Church covered up decades of abuse. USA Gymnastics ignored complaints about Larry Nassar for years. Penn State let Jerry Sandusky rape children in showers while leaders stayed silent. The Boy Scouts hid thousands of abuse cases in “perversion files.” The Southern Baptist Convention covered up abuse for decades. And Ohio State, where Richard Strauss abused athletes for nearly 20 years while complaints were laughed off and victims were told to “toughen up.” Ohio State was terrible, but it wasn’t the worst. It was just one more example of adults protecting institutions instead of children.

Law enforcement failed children too. The LAPD ignored complaints about child abuse in Hollywood circles. The NYPD mishandled child abuse cases for years, losing evidence and delaying investigations. Sheriff’s offices in Florida, Ohio, and California ignored trafficking rings and protected politically connected offenders. In Arizona, police ignored reports of abuse in youth homes tied to donors. In Oklahoma, officers dismissed trafficking complaints involving minors because the suspects were “community leaders.”
These failures weren’t accidents; they were choices.

And here’s where I need to be honest: Democrats have failed children too. Not in the same legislative pattern, but in ways that still harmed kids. California’s foster care system has been a disaster for years. New York’s family courts are overwhelmed. Illinois failed to stop abuse in youth facilities even after warnings. Michigan ignored early complaints about Larry Nassar long before Republicans got involved. Democratic governors, mayors, and prosecutors have failed children through negligence, bureaucracy, and cowardice. So no, Democrats aren’t perfect. But the pattern is different. Democratic failures tend to be bureaucratic. Republican failures tend to be ideological and legislative.

And then you look at Republican lawmakers. Republicans in multiple states have blocked statute‑of‑limitations reform for child rape survivors laws that would allow victims to sue their abusers decades later, when they’re finally able to speak. Blocking those laws protects predators. It protects institutions. It does not protect children. Republicans have opposed expanding free school lunches, even though hunger is one of the strongest predictors of abuse and trafficking vulnerability. If you “think of the children,” you feed them. Republicans chose not to. Republicans have underfunded foster care systems in red states like Texas, Florida, Arizona, Mississippi, and Kansas, systems where children have been trafficked, raped, placed with known abusers, and lost. Budget choices reflect priorities. And these systems have been underfunded for years.

And here’s the part that still shocks me: Some Republican officials and conservative commentators have actually called child‑abuse concerns a “moral panic.” Not fringe people, politicians asking for your vote.
Matt Gaetz said it.
Ron Johnson said it.
J.D. Vance said it.
Marjorie Taylor Greene said it.
Jim Jordan used the same framing.
Ted Cruz used “moral panic” language when dismissing trafficking concerns.
Rand Paul used it when downplaying exploitation claims.
State lawmakers in Ohio, Florida, Texas, Wisconsin, and Missouri used it during debates over child‑abuse laws.                                       Tucker Carlson said it.
Glenn Beck said it.
Think about that. The second‑worst crime behind murder, childhood rape, gets dismissed as a “moral panic.”
Not by random internet trolls. By elected officials. By candidates. By people asking for your vote. When someone calls child exploitation a “moral panic,” they’re not protecting children. They’re protecting adults. They’re protecting institutions. They’re protecting political interests. And that tells me everything I need to know about priorities.

And then there’s the part nobody talks about: special‑needs children. Republican legislatures have cut special‑education funding in multiple states. They’ve fought against expanding IDEA funding, the federal law that guarantees special‑needs kids a right to education. They’ve pushed voucher programs that leave special‑needs children behind because private schools don’t have to accept them. They’ve blocked Medicaid expansions that pay for therapies, wheelchairs, communication devices, and in‑home support. In Florida, special‑needs kids were kicked off therapy programs because of budget cuts. In Texas, thousands of special‑needs children lost access to speech and occupational therapy after Republican lawmakers slashed Medicaid reimbursement rates. In Mississippi, special‑needs children waited months, sometimes years, for evaluations because the state refused to fund specialists. In Arizona, voucher programs drained public schools while private schools refused to take children with autism, Down syndrome, or severe disabilities. Special‑needs children don’t march. They don’t protest. They don’t write letters. They don’t have lobbyists. They don’t have PACs. They don’t have donors. They only have us.

So I come back to the question I started with, the one that’s been sitting in my chest for years now: If I cared about children, why would I vote for a Republican?

After everything I’ve seen, everything I’ve read, everything I’ve watched happen to real kids in real systems run by real adults, I can’t pretend anymore. I can’t pretend that speeches are actions. I can’t pretend that slogans are solutions. I can’t pretend that “family values” means anything if it doesn’t include protecting the most vulnerable children in this country: abused children, hungry children, foster children, special‑needs children, forgotten children, and immigrant children. If you notice, I haven’t even touched on the splitting up of immigrant families and the putting immigrant children into cages.

And I’m not saying Democrats are perfect. They’re not. They’ve failed too, through negligence, bureaucracy, immigration abuse, and cowardice. But when I look at the pattern, when I look at who blocks the laws that help survivors, who cuts the programs that feed kids, who underfunds the systems that protect them, who calls child exploitation a “moral panic,” who protects institutions instead of victims, who abandons special‑needs children because they don’t fit into a political talking point, the pattern is not equal.

One party fails children by accident and cowardice. The other fails them on purpose.
Children don’t vote.
Children don’t donate.
Children don’t lobby.
Children don’t threaten political careers.
And maybe that’s why they keep getting left behind.

But I care about children. And if I care about children, I have to vote like it. Because children don’t have lobbyists. Children don’t have PACs. Children don’t have donors. Children only have us. And if we don’t stand up for them, nobody will.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

  There’s a simple way to judge a country: look at whose lives it protects, and whose lives it’s willing to forget. For years now, we’ve heard the phrase “All Lives Matter.” It sounds fair. It sounds equal. It sounds like common sense. But a country doesn’t reveal its values through slogans. It reveals them through actions, through the lives it defends, the lives it ignores, and the lives it quietly pushes out of sight. And lately, America has been doing a whole lot of looking away. When Black Americans said they were being killed during traffic stops and routine encounters, the response from many leaders wasn’t concern; it was irritation. Instead of saying, “Let’s fix the problem so fewer people die,” we heard “Blue Lives Matter,” “Stop resisting,” and “BLM is a terrorist group.” A man died in a chokehold on camera. We all saw, from the beginning to the end. It was like a modern-day lynching. Millions marched peacefully. The answer from those in power was “law and order,” and “...
  Growing up, every morning in school, my whole class would recite the Pledge of Allegiance. As a young man, I thought I was swearing loyalty to a flag, some piece of cloth. As I grew older, I realized that I was swearing loyalty to the Republic and to what that Republic stood for, as defined in the Constitution. I wasn’t swearing loyalty to Eisenhower, Kennedy, or Johnson. I was swearing loyalty to the nation and what it had stood for since the Constitution was ratified. I was swearing loyalty to do what was right. Today, there is a lot of talk about loyalty, but most of it seems to be centered on loyalty to one man. I look at it as loyalty given and the loyalty that Trump didn’t return. Whether it is our service members or our allies, it seems Trump is not living up to the promises this nation has made. Just yesterday, I was reading about Trump saying that he has ordered the scaling back of our participation in the U.S. – ROK exercises that were supposed to be held with South K...
  On Saturday, I was looking at Facebook and a person I was friends with, in fact, someone I went to High School with, posted something I knew was wrong. The post claimed that four lawmakers in Colorado decided jail time shouldn’t be mandatory for people who committed sexual assault of children. She claimed they were pedophile protectors. I opened up Perplexity and asked about the situation, and this is the reply I got back: You’re referring to a recent controversy in Colorado over a proposed bill that would change sentencing rules for certain sex crimes. Here are the verified facts to clarify what’s actually happening: • In early 2026, the Colorado House Judiciary Committee held a vote on a sentencing reform bill that aimed to give judges more discretion in certain felony cases. • Some lawmakers voted against an amendment that would have made mandatory prison sentences apply to all sex crimes, including child sexual assault, preferring instead to let judges determine sentences...