Skip to main content

 


I’m 73 years old, and I’ve lived long enough to see America at its best and at its worst. I’ve seen boys barely old enough to shave shipped off to Vietnam. I’ve seen Americans march in the streets for civil rights, demanding this country live up to its promises. I watched a man walk on the moon, and for a moment it felt like anything was possible if we stuck together and remembered who we were supposed to be.

Back then, morality wasn’t as complicated. It wasn’t political. It was just how you lived. You weren’t supposed to hurt people for fun. You weren’t supposed to lie when the truth mattered. You weren’t supposed to turn your back on a child. You didn’t worship leaders like they were gods. You weren't supposed to treat people like they were disposable. Churches preached compassion while preaching from the Gospel instead of turning their backs on it. Neighbors were supposed to help each other. We expected our leaders to act like grown‑ups. We weren’t perfect, but at least we tried.

Today, I look around, and I barely recognize my country. Cruelty isn’t just happening — people are cheering it on. Folks I grew up with, people I went to school with, people who once called me a friend, are now clapping for things we were raised to stand against. They defend cruelty. They excuse lies. They worship leaders. They treat politics like religion and division like pride. It breaks my heart to see people I once respected cheering for suffering like it's entertainment.

 And I’ll tell you something else: a lot of this moral decline didn’t come out of nowhere. It came from billionaires — people with more money than entire towns — using their wealth to twist the country into something meaner, colder, and more divided. They pour money into anger. They amplify hate. They reward cruelty. They punish compassion. They use their platforms to spread fear and resentment. They turn leaders into idols. They turn politics into a show. They turn people against each other because division is profitable. Billionaires didn’t just sell products — they sold values. They sold the idea that success mattered more than kindness. That winning mattered more than honesty. That power mattered more than decency. And too many of us let those messages raise our children for us.

One of the biggest crimes my generation may have committed is how many of us raised our children. Some of us didn’t teach them what our parents taught us. Some of us didn’t pass down the same morality we were raised with. Somewhere along the line, some of us started teaching our kids to chase possessions, status, and power instead of decency, honesty, and compassion. They were told to “get ahead at all costs.” They were told to “win at all costs.” They were told to “be somebody at all costs.” But many of us didn’t tell them enough about what it means to be a good person. We didn’t tell them enough about helping others. We didn’t tell them enough about standing up for what’s right. We didn’t tell them enough about humility, responsibility, or truth. And while we were doing that, billionaires were shaping the world our kids grew up in. They built a culture where money meant everything, where fame meant everything. Where power meant everything. They taught our kids to admire wealth instead of character. They taught our kids to worship people who had money, not people who had morals.

We didn’t mean to. We didn’t set out to do it. But we let the world change around us, and we didn’t fight hard enough to keep morality at the center. And now we’re seeing the results. We’re seeing a generation that thinks possessions define worth. We’re seeing people who think power is the same as strength. We’re seeing folks who think cruelty is leadership. We’re seeing neighbors who think morality is optional.

My generation was supposed to change the world. Many marched. Many protested. We believed in fairness and justice. But somewhere along the way, too many of us stopped caring. We let anger replace compassion. We let fear replace courage. We let comfort replace responsibility. And now I’m watching people my age cheer for things we once fought against. It feels like a betrayal — not just of me, but of the country we were supposed to protect.

And sometimes I sit and wonder: where are the patriots now? The real ones. The kind who loved this country enough to fight fascism instead of cheer it on. The kind who stormed beaches in Europe and never once asked what party someone belonged to. The kind who believed in sacrifice, not selfishness. The kind who knew freedom wasn’t a slogan — it was a responsibility. I look around today, and I don’t see many people like that anymore. I see folks waving flags like props, shouting about patriotism while cheering cruelty. I see people who talk about “freedom” but only mean freedom for themselves while separating families and putting them in cages. I see people who call themselves patriots but defend leaders who divide us, lie to us, and treat the country like their personal stage.

The Greatest Generation didn’t defeat fascism so we could flirt with it. They didn’t bury their friends in foreign soil so we could cheer for cruelty at home. They didn’t fight tyranny so we could excuse it when it comes from someone we like. They didn’t sacrifice everything so we could forget what patriotism actually means.
Real patriots don’t cheer cruelty.
Real patriots don’t worship leaders.
Real patriots don’t turn their backs on children.
Real patriots don’t excuse corruption.
Real patriots don’t divide their own country.
Real patriots don’t forget right from wrong.

Getting morality back isn’t complicated. It doesn’t take a college degree. It doesn’t take fancy words. It takes common sense and a little courage, and right now there is a shortage of both. It means turning off the billionaires who profit from anger. It means refusing to worship leaders. It means calling cruelty what it is — wrong and then standing up against it. It means protecting children. It means telling the truth even when it’s uncomfortable. It means remembering that kindness isn’t weakness. It means treating people like human beings again.

Morality comes back when regular people decide they’ve had enough of being manipulated. Enough of being divided. Enough of being told who to hate. Enough of cheering for things they know are wrong. Morality comes back when people stop letting billionaires buy their outrage and start using their own eyes, their own heart, and their own common sense.

I’m 73 years old. I’ve seen America rise. I’ve seen America struggle. And now I’m watching America forget itself. But I still believe we can remember who we were meant to be. We just have to stop cheering cruelty and start choosing decency again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

  There’s a simple way to judge a country: look at whose lives it protects, and whose lives it’s willing to forget. For years now, we’ve heard the phrase “All Lives Matter.” It sounds fair. It sounds equal. It sounds like common sense. But a country doesn’t reveal its values through slogans. It reveals them through actions, through the lives it defends, the lives it ignores, and the lives it quietly pushes out of sight. And lately, America has been doing a whole lot of looking away. When Black Americans said they were being killed during traffic stops and routine encounters, the response from many leaders wasn’t concern; it was irritation. Instead of saying, “Let’s fix the problem so fewer people die,” we heard “Blue Lives Matter,” “Stop resisting,” and “BLM is a terrorist group.” A man died in a chokehold on camera. We all saw, from the beginning to the end. It was like a modern-day lynching. Millions marched peacefully. The answer from those in power was “law and order,” and “...
  Growing up, every morning in school, my whole class would recite the Pledge of Allegiance. As a young man, I thought I was swearing loyalty to a flag, some piece of cloth. As I grew older, I realized that I was swearing loyalty to the Republic and to what that Republic stood for, as defined in the Constitution. I wasn’t swearing loyalty to Eisenhower, Kennedy, or Johnson. I was swearing loyalty to the nation and what it had stood for since the Constitution was ratified. I was swearing loyalty to do what was right. Today, there is a lot of talk about loyalty, but most of it seems to be centered on loyalty to one man. I look at it as loyalty given and the loyalty that Trump didn’t return. Whether it is our service members or our allies, it seems Trump is not living up to the promises this nation has made. Just yesterday, I was reading about Trump saying that he has ordered the scaling back of our participation in the U.S. – ROK exercises that were supposed to be held with South K...
  On Saturday, I was looking at Facebook and a person I was friends with, in fact, someone I went to High School with, posted something I knew was wrong. The post claimed that four lawmakers in Colorado decided jail time shouldn’t be mandatory for people who committed sexual assault of children. She claimed they were pedophile protectors. I opened up Perplexity and asked about the situation, and this is the reply I got back: You’re referring to a recent controversy in Colorado over a proposed bill that would change sentencing rules for certain sex crimes. Here are the verified facts to clarify what’s actually happening: • In early 2026, the Colorado House Judiciary Committee held a vote on a sentencing reform bill that aimed to give judges more discretion in certain felony cases. • Some lawmakers voted against an amendment that would have made mandatory prison sentences apply to all sex crimes, including child sexual assault, preferring instead to let judges determine sentences...