Skip to main content

 

The Sales Pitch and the Product

I Could Be Wrong

Sitting here in Southwest Florida this week, I found myself asking a question I am asking more often these days. When do we stop listening to the sales pitch and start looking at the product? That is not really a political question. It is a common-sense question. If someone keeps telling you how great something is, eventually you stop listening to the advertising and start paying attention to the results. That is where I am. Not just with Donald Trump. Not just with politics. With everything.

Trust has become one of the rarest commodities in America. Government wants our trust. The media wants our trust. Political parties want our trust. Corporations want our trust. Everybody wants trust. But trust is not given; trust is earned. And this week reminded me just how difficult it has become to know who has earned it.

Let us start with the Strait of Hormuz.

Americans were told the strait is open. Oil is flowing. Things are under control. Success. Sounds great. But I am not asking anyone to believe me. Ask yourself a simple question. If you owned a billion-dollar cargo ship, would you want it sailing through the Strait of Hormuz right now? If you were writing the insurance policy, would you be excited about covering that voyage? If the answer is no, then maybe we should be careful before celebrating how wonderful things are going. Military forces are still involved. Commercial shipping still faces extraordinary risks. World leaders continue warning about instability. Macron publicly described the situation as dangerous and unresolved and rejected the idea that military force offered a simple solution. There is a difference between the road being open and the road being safe. There is a difference between traffic movement and a problem being solved. Most Americans understand that immediately. Yet somehow, we are expected to celebrate victory while the danger remains.

Then there is Greenland.

For months we were told how important Greenland was. How critical it was. How essential it was for America's national security. Then came the announcement. A new agreement. A major triumph. Another success story. Another historic achievement. Except Greenland is still Greenland. Denmark still retains sovereignty. The United States already had substantial military rights there. Even reports covering the announcement noted that it was not immediately clear how different the new agreement is from arrangements that already existed. Maybe the agreement will prove important in the future; maybe it will not. But once again the presentation seems much larger than the reality. The sales pitch says revolution. The product looks a lot more like renovation.

Then came the triumphal arch.

What began as a monument suddenly became much more. Now we are being told it will also function as a military complex with drones, snipers, and ammunition storage because the military supposedly requested it. Maybe that is true. Maybe it isn't. But after a while, a pattern emerges. Everything must be the biggest. Everything must be historic. Everything must be unprecedented. Everything must be the greatest anybody has ever seen. After hearing that for years, a person starts to wonder whether we are governing a country or producing a television commercial.

Then we arrive at the Kennedy Center.

This may be the clearest example of all. Think about the message. We're told institutions are broken. We're told they are failing. We are told they are unsafe. We're told drastic action is needed. But somehow the solution always seems remarkably familiar. Put Trump's name on it. Put Trump in charge of it. Put Trump at the center of the story. Then suddenly what was failing becomes a success. What was broken becomes beautiful. What was a disaster becomes a triumph.

Maybe I am oversimplifying. But that is how it looks to many ordinary Americans. At some point, a person must ask whether we're solving problems or simply rebranding them. But what bothered me most this week was not Greenland. It wasn't the Strait of Hormuz. It wasn't the arch. It wasn't even the Kennedy Center. It was the treatment of the press.

Look, I don't think the media is perfect. Far from it. Journalists make mistakes. News organizations have biases. Reporters get things wrong. They are human beings. But that is not the issue. The issue is what happens when facts become inconvenient. This week journalists from major news organizations were denied White House access after their credentials were deactivated. At the same time, senior Trump adviser Peter Navarro appeared on Steve Bannon's program and described certain reporting on the economy, tariffs, and the Iran war as "treasonous." Think about that word for a moment. Treasonous. Not mistaken. Not unfair. Not biased. Treasonous. When did asking questions become treason? When did challenging official claims become treason? When did reporting facts that embarrass politicians become treason? That word means something. And Americans should be very careful when powerful people start throwing it around. Because once reporters become the enemy, facts become optional. That is when narrative starts replacing reality. And that is what finally hit me this week.

The Strait of Hormuz.

Greenland.

The triumphal arch.

The Kennedy Center.

The attacks on journalists.

At first glance, they seem unrelated. But I do not think they are. I think they're all part of the same story. The common thread isn't policy. The common thread is narrative. The common thread is the expectation that reality should conform to the story instead of the other way around. If reality supports the narrative, it is celebrated. If reality challenges the narrative, reality becomes the problem. The reporter becomes the problem. The critic becomes the problem. The person asking questions becomes the problem. The ally who disagrees becomes the problem. Anybody who points out contradictions becomes the problem. And that should concern every American. Not because we're Democrats. Not because we are Republicans. But because we are Americans.

I could be wrong.

But what troubles me most is not Donald Trump. It is what we're becoming as a country. I grew up believing that the truth mattered. Not Republican truth. Not Democratic truth. Just the truth. I believed leaders are supposed to work for us. Reporters were supposed to ask uncomfortable questions. I have always hoped that when something was not working, our leaders would level with the American people and tell us so. Maybe it would be disappointing. Maybe it would be embarrassing. But at least it would be honest.

Somewhere along the way that changed. Now everything must be a victory. Everything has to be historic. Everything has to be the greatest success anybody has ever seen. And if reality gets in the way, then reality becomes the problem. At some point, a regular person has to stop and ask: What exactly are we doing here? Are we governing a nation? Or are we managing a brand? Because those are not the same thing.  I don't need perfection from my leaders. I don't need every policy to succeed. I don't need every decision to be correct. What I do need is honesty. Tell me when something works. Tell me when something didn't. Tell me when the situation is dangerous. Tell me when a problem remains unsolved. Trust me enough to tell me the truth.

Because I hope that is all most Americans are really asking for. Not a slogan. Not a sales pitch. Not another victory parade. Just the truth. I think Americans are strong enough to handle it. I hope Americans are smart enough to recognize it. And I hope Americans are getting tired of being treated like customers at a marketing convention instead of citizens in a democracy.

Maybe I am wrong. But the older I get, the more I believe that a nation can survive bad policies. A nation can survive bad leaders. A nation can survive political disagreements. What a nation cannot survive is losing its commitment to the truth. Because once truth becomes whatever the powerful say it is, freedom is not far behind. And that is what worries me most.

Not this week.

Not this administration.

Not this president.

What worries me is what is happening to America.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

  There’s a simple way to judge a country: look at whose lives it protects, and whose lives it’s willing to forget. For years now, we’ve heard the phrase “All Lives Matter.” It sounds fair. It sounds equal. It sounds like common sense. But a country doesn’t reveal its values through slogans. It reveals them through actions, through the lives it defends, the lives it ignores, and the lives it quietly pushes out of sight. And lately, America has been doing a whole lot of looking away. When Black Americans said they were being killed during traffic stops and routine encounters, the response from many leaders wasn’t concern; it was irritation. Instead of saying, “Let’s fix the problem so fewer people die,” we heard “Blue Lives Matter,” “Stop resisting,” and “BLM is a terrorist group.” A man died in a chokehold on camera. We all saw, from the beginning to the end. It was like a modern-day lynching. Millions marched peacefully. The answer from those in power was “law and order,” and “...
  Growing up, every morning in school, my whole class would recite the Pledge of Allegiance. As a young man, I thought I was swearing loyalty to a flag, some piece of cloth. As I grew older, I realized that I was swearing loyalty to the Republic and to what that Republic stood for, as defined in the Constitution. I wasn’t swearing loyalty to Eisenhower, Kennedy, or Johnson. I was swearing loyalty to the nation and what it had stood for since the Constitution was ratified. I was swearing loyalty to do what was right. Today, there is a lot of talk about loyalty, but most of it seems to be centered on loyalty to one man. I look at it as loyalty given and the loyalty that Trump didn’t return. Whether it is our service members or our allies, it seems Trump is not living up to the promises this nation has made. Just yesterday, I was reading about Trump saying that he has ordered the scaling back of our participation in the U.S. – ROK exercises that were supposed to be held with South K...
  On Saturday, I was looking at Facebook and a person I was friends with, in fact, someone I went to High School with, posted something I knew was wrong. The post claimed that four lawmakers in Colorado decided jail time shouldn’t be mandatory for people who committed sexual assault of children. She claimed they were pedophile protectors. I opened up Perplexity and asked about the situation, and this is the reply I got back: You’re referring to a recent controversy in Colorado over a proposed bill that would change sentencing rules for certain sex crimes. Here are the verified facts to clarify what’s actually happening: • In early 2026, the Colorado House Judiciary Committee held a vote on a sentencing reform bill that aimed to give judges more discretion in certain felony cases. • Some lawmakers voted against an amendment that would have made mandatory prison sentences apply to all sex crimes, including child sexual assault, preferring instead to let judges determine sentences...