Skip to main content

 Politics today are confusing.

 

 

Politics today are confusing. I was watching a Trump campaign advertisement about Social Security. Here was this ad with this nice senior citizen telling us how Biden was going to cut her Social Security and cut her Medicare. I thought that this was a little bit of a stretch so I googled Biden and Social Security. I think that under Biden these two programs are safe. He did take a fiscally conservative approach in the 80s with cuts in the cost of living adjustments to help the deficit but overall, I think the programs would be pretty safe under him.

Now Social Security and Medicare have always been paid for with a separate tax. Trump I believe has proposed eliminating the Social Security and Medicare tax and just have the money come out of the general fund. That raised a lot of red flags to me. The first one is what would happen to all the money that I had put into it? Would it just go into the general fund too?

This started me to think about a program that I was involved with so bear with my story. My wife and I have been sailboat racers at our local club for years and at the end of the year we would have very nice awards banquet. One Sunday afternoon we were sitting with the Race Director and he was telling us how mad the Board was with him for the amount of money that he was spending for awards and he needed to come up with a way to raise money for the awards. Now my wife used to be a sailing instructor so we came up with the idea for an adult sailing class, run by the racing program that could raise money for the awards banquet. It also increased exposure to the club that also helped membership. The program was very successful and the racing program now had the money it needed. A few years went by and things got a little bit tight financially for the club so the board voted to absorb the Adult Sailing Program and the income it generated into the general fund. Well let’s just say that the awards banquet was never the same.

Is that what will happen to Social Security if it was absorbed into the general fund? That is what I would be afraid of what would happen. Now the racing program was part of the club and the board had every right to do it but I do think it had a long term affect on the racing program. Now Social Security is not part of the general fund and I believe it is that way to protect the program from politicians that would want to use the funds for other things like paying for tax cuts for the rich. Paul Ryan wanted to privatize Social Security. I know that sounded exciting to some but I think it was just another scheme to funnel that money to the rich and the poor would have suffered.

Social Security is important and it must be protected. It really must be protected from greedy politicians that only want to line the pockets of their friends and themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

  Tommy Tuberville made a comment about Biden eating an ice cream cone in New York City. He posted on X that “Hope @JoeBiden enjoyed going out for ice cream in NYC while the rest of the city is afraid of crime and migrants”. If Senator Tuberville was really an informed and knowledgeable lawmaker he would know that Alabama, the State that he represents in the Senate, has a murder rate that is three times the rate of New York City. I wonder if this is a case of another Republican lying and giving misinformation in an attempt to weaken our nation or is he just a politician that doesn’t have a clue to the real problems that face the nation and the State he is suppose to represent. Maybe it would help if Tuberville actually lived in the State he is supposed to represent. If you believe the Washington Post he actually lives in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. I have been to Santa Rosa Beach and I have to admit it is beautiful there but that should not be an excuse for not living in the State you r
  If I was a parent of a handicapped or developmentally disabled child I would be very nervous right now. If I was a parent of a Gay or Tran’s child I would be very nervous. Why? I think that we have a person running for the office of President that thinks that it is ok to mock people with disabilities. President Biden is a stutterer and he has worked hard to overcome that disability. That should be something that should be an inspiration to not only people with disabilities but to the entire nation. He is a man that has risen above his stuttering to achieve remarkable things. By Trump mocking Biden because of his stuttering he is sending a message to the entire country it is ok to bully other people just because they are different or have a disability. Now Biden is a grown man that has had to endure bullying like that all his life and he has come out probably stronger because of it. Not everyone is as strong as Biden. Biden is not the first person that Trump has insulted because a h
  Trump’s oath of office, his lawyers are saying that Trump never took an oath to support the Constitution. Why would his lawyers say this? The reason is because the Presidential oath of office does not have the word “Support” in it. The Presidential oath uses the words “Preserve, Protect, and Defend” the Constitution. Why would the Presidential oath not use the word support? Could it be that the President is held to a higher standard than just support the Constitution? I have read that is the reason why that the words “Preserve, Protect and Defend” are used is to show the greater responsibility the President has to the Constitution. I think Trump’s lawyers want us to believe that Trump had less of a responsibility to our Constitution because the word “Support” is not in his oath. I think just the opposite; he had a stronger responsibility and failed at that responsibility, badly. Maybe that is because he never read the Constitution of the United States. Trump’s lawyers also say Sect