Skip to main content

 

Black Lives Matter and Supporting the Police, You Can Do Both.

When I was young like a lot of kids, wanted to be a police officer. To protect and serve the community, who wouldn’t want to do that? To this day I look at our police as a very important part of our community. When I was lying on the front lawn with no heart beat and my wife performing CPR who was the first one there? A police officer. Part of their job is to be there when we need them and I needed them. I am alive today with the help of a police officer. Now, I will tell you that I am white but I believe that no matter what my color was he would have done the same thing. One of the dumbest phrases is “Defund the Police”.

Now as I stated I am white. I try to understand the Black Experience but being white I have never lived the Black Experience so it is hard. I do not know what it is like to walk into a room and have people look at me like I don’t belong there. I do not know what it is like to be racially profiled, to be judged just because of the color of my skin. I asked that question to a black friend of mine and she just said “Oh you get use to it”. I don’t know if I could just get use to it. We have seen racism rise in this country in the last 12 years and I don’t know how it will get better.

Now many of us call the police the Authorities. Is that the right term to use? Wasn’t the slave master the authority? Wasn’t the men with dogs chasing after escaped slaves the Authorities? Maybe to some the word Authorities has a very bad ring to it. Some races in the United States have been submitting to the Authorities for hundreds of years. Our police are supposed to protect the public and enforce the law. They are not judge and jury. We have courts for that. Even if the person resists we have courts for that. Even criminals have rights in this country. Every time a person is killed by the police he has been denied his rights to a fair trial by an impartial jury. This is supposed to be the foundation of our judicial system.

Now I am not saying that a policeman cannot defend themselves but we sure have seemed to have lowered the bar for what is acceptable. Maybe I am wrong with that statement. Look at the law enforcement presence when there is a black protests and then look at the law enforcement presence when there is a white protests. It seem that we always view the blacks as violent and the whites as peaceful. We may want to rethink that. 

As I said that Defund the Police is stupid. I did not say that we do not need reform. In many cases we seem to be sending them into situations that they have not be train enough for. Training is a funny thing; it has to be constantly reinforced and upgraded. We cannot expect them to be mental health experts but to save money that is a lot of the time the situation that we put them in. They are not marriage counselors either.

Not everyone has the makeup to be a police officer. Bullies should not be police officers. White Supremists should not be police officers. The ones that shoot first and ask questions later should not be police officers. We need men and women of dedication and compassion. We cannot let a few bad policemen spoil our opinion of all of them. Maybe if they did a better job of policing themselves and getting rid of the bad apples we would have less of a problem. That is what they want done to teachers and that is what we should do to policeman.

It is always a shame when any person dies in the line of duty. May 15th is the Policeman’s remembrance day. I have to say we do not hear enough about that day.  This May 15 hopefully there is more attention paid to it. Remember a good Police Officer died protecting our Democracy on Jan. 6th. Many more were injured. We must not forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

  Tommy Tuberville made a comment about Biden eating an ice cream cone in New York City. He posted on X that “Hope @JoeBiden enjoyed going out for ice cream in NYC while the rest of the city is afraid of crime and migrants”. If Senator Tuberville was really an informed and knowledgeable lawmaker he would know that Alabama, the State that he represents in the Senate, has a murder rate that is three times the rate of New York City. I wonder if this is a case of another Republican lying and giving misinformation in an attempt to weaken our nation or is he just a politician that doesn’t have a clue to the real problems that face the nation and the State he is suppose to represent. Maybe it would help if Tuberville actually lived in the State he is supposed to represent. If you believe the Washington Post he actually lives in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. I have been to Santa Rosa Beach and I have to admit it is beautiful there but that should not be an excuse for not living in the State you r
  If I was a parent of a handicapped or developmentally disabled child I would be very nervous right now. If I was a parent of a Gay or Tran’s child I would be very nervous. Why? I think that we have a person running for the office of President that thinks that it is ok to mock people with disabilities. President Biden is a stutterer and he has worked hard to overcome that disability. That should be something that should be an inspiration to not only people with disabilities but to the entire nation. He is a man that has risen above his stuttering to achieve remarkable things. By Trump mocking Biden because of his stuttering he is sending a message to the entire country it is ok to bully other people just because they are different or have a disability. Now Biden is a grown man that has had to endure bullying like that all his life and he has come out probably stronger because of it. Not everyone is as strong as Biden. Biden is not the first person that Trump has insulted because a h
  Trump’s oath of office, his lawyers are saying that Trump never took an oath to support the Constitution. Why would his lawyers say this? The reason is because the Presidential oath of office does not have the word “Support” in it. The Presidential oath uses the words “Preserve, Protect, and Defend” the Constitution. Why would the Presidential oath not use the word support? Could it be that the President is held to a higher standard than just support the Constitution? I have read that is the reason why that the words “Preserve, Protect and Defend” are used is to show the greater responsibility the President has to the Constitution. I think Trump’s lawyers want us to believe that Trump had less of a responsibility to our Constitution because the word “Support” is not in his oath. I think just the opposite; he had a stronger responsibility and failed at that responsibility, badly. Maybe that is because he never read the Constitution of the United States. Trump’s lawyers also say Sect