Skip to main content

 

It has been a tough 5 years. Not only for the country but for many families as well. Just like the Civil War where at times you had not only North fight South but you had at times brother fighting brother for the soul of our nation.  The same can be said today. Not only do we have a battle going on between Democrats and Republicans we have a battle going on between Pro Democracy and Anti Democracy ideology. People that I have grown up admiring have shown me a streak of hate that as a younger man I would have never believed was there. Was I just naïve? Growing in up in the 60s and finishing High School in 71 I thought that racism would become a thing of the past. I thought that I didn’t know any racist and working in an integrated setting I saw no problem with all of us working together. I worked with Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Philippinos and Women. I thought that we were really building a better world. What in the hell happened?

The easy way to say that the problem is Trump and the Republicans and at times I agree with taking the easy way out. A lot of the problem is with Trump and the Republicans right now, but it didn’t start with them. It started when we began losing all those factory jobs in cities all over the country. Now you have fewer good paying industrial job and the competition for those jobs rose. Blacks, Whites, Hispanics all competing for fewer and less paying jobs. It started when society began to devalue people because of their sexual orientation, their race, and their religion. For some reason it became ok to start throwing the first stone.

I have gotten into my share of Facebook and Twitter conversations because of this blog. Most of the conversations are very positive but a few do upset me. To see the influence that the visual media has on the public is heartbreaking. My father read the paper every day.  We discussed current events at the dinner table all the time. We talked about the civil right marches to the riots to the Beatles. When I got older and married I started out with a morning and evening paper, the Milwaukee Sentinel and the Kenosha News. I turned into a news junkie. I always wanted to be informed. I always wanted to read about a problem and make up my own mind. Like my father I was a Republican and like my father I was always interested what was going on in the world. There was no CNN and there was no FOX news and all the other right and left cable news outlets. To see how dependant the people in America have become on the cable news is just frightening to me. The fact that in my opinion a racist and White Supremist like Tucker Carlson and Steve Bannon has such a huge following is just scary. They seem to want to divide the country which only weakens us. Who is paying these guys salary?

We are a divided family just like we are a divided nation. After the last 5 years there are some people I will never be able to look at the same. I went to high school with a guy now living in Arizona. He asked me why I hated Trump. My reply back was that I hated racist that call all Mexicans rapist and criminals. His comment back to me was well he was sure that there were some Mexicans that committed rape and that there are some Mexicans that were criminals so what Trump was saying was not racist.  I was shocked. Now this was a guy that I hung out with and really had fun with, a guy I called my friend. How can I look at that guy the same knowing that he is probably as big of a racist as our former Fearless Leader? Relatives that think that poor people are poor because they are lazy when the truth is as long as you have a minimum wage as low as we do you will always have poor people. The system creates them. It is heartbreaking to know that these people think so little about their fellow man yet go to church every Sunday.  We have Trans and Gay people in families where other members of the family think that there is no salvation for them because of their life style. The so called “Choice” that they, like they really had a choice. They say that God does not approve of their life style and it is some abomination. I just want to scream that he created the Trans and Gay people too and their salvation will be the same as yours, whether you lived a good live. Why do we condemn things just because we don’t understand them? Their difference should not scare us.

Most of these problems had been lying beneath the surface and what the last five years did was just make it more out in the open. It was politically incorrect to criticize people because of their race, creed or sexual orientation. Then along comes Trump and all the political correctness is out the window. He makes it ok to hate your neighbor. He made the words to One Tin Soldier come to life. Look them up.

 

Comments

  1. GOD BLESS OUR VOICES! This is so great to see as the discovery of truth emerges and maybe heal. Thank you for speaking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

  Tommy Tuberville made a comment about Biden eating an ice cream cone in New York City. He posted on X that “Hope @JoeBiden enjoyed going out for ice cream in NYC while the rest of the city is afraid of crime and migrants”. If Senator Tuberville was really an informed and knowledgeable lawmaker he would know that Alabama, the State that he represents in the Senate, has a murder rate that is three times the rate of New York City. I wonder if this is a case of another Republican lying and giving misinformation in an attempt to weaken our nation or is he just a politician that doesn’t have a clue to the real problems that face the nation and the State he is suppose to represent. Maybe it would help if Tuberville actually lived in the State he is supposed to represent. If you believe the Washington Post he actually lives in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. I have been to Santa Rosa Beach and I have to admit it is beautiful there but that should not be an excuse for not living in the State you r
  If I was a parent of a handicapped or developmentally disabled child I would be very nervous right now. If I was a parent of a Gay or Tran’s child I would be very nervous. Why? I think that we have a person running for the office of President that thinks that it is ok to mock people with disabilities. President Biden is a stutterer and he has worked hard to overcome that disability. That should be something that should be an inspiration to not only people with disabilities but to the entire nation. He is a man that has risen above his stuttering to achieve remarkable things. By Trump mocking Biden because of his stuttering he is sending a message to the entire country it is ok to bully other people just because they are different or have a disability. Now Biden is a grown man that has had to endure bullying like that all his life and he has come out probably stronger because of it. Not everyone is as strong as Biden. Biden is not the first person that Trump has insulted because a h
  Trump’s oath of office, his lawyers are saying that Trump never took an oath to support the Constitution. Why would his lawyers say this? The reason is because the Presidential oath of office does not have the word “Support” in it. The Presidential oath uses the words “Preserve, Protect, and Defend” the Constitution. Why would the Presidential oath not use the word support? Could it be that the President is held to a higher standard than just support the Constitution? I have read that is the reason why that the words “Preserve, Protect and Defend” are used is to show the greater responsibility the President has to the Constitution. I think Trump’s lawyers want us to believe that Trump had less of a responsibility to our Constitution because the word “Support” is not in his oath. I think just the opposite; he had a stronger responsibility and failed at that responsibility, badly. Maybe that is because he never read the Constitution of the United States. Trump’s lawyers also say Sect