Skip to main content

 

It was 10:30 am Sunday morning and Hurricane IDA was bearing down on Louisiana so I turned on the TV so I could watch the news on its progress. I turned on CNN and all the news was Afghanistan. I turned on MSNBC and all the news was on Afghanistan. I turned on ABC news and all the news was on Afghanistan. I never watch Fox News but I thought I would just check out that too. You guessed it, Afghanistan. I finally turned on CBS News and they were actually covering IDA. Here we have a hurricane that is bearing down on the mainland of the United States most of the news outlets were covering Afghanistan. You would think that a storm that will affect the lives of millions of American people would be more important than interviewing the talking head that just want to embarrass our President.

I have always been a news freak. Why? Because I like following history and reading the news is how I can follow history. I just love the internet because I can follow the news without having to watch someone else tell me what is important. I am in control of what I want to read and what I feel is important to the country. News of a devastating hurricane making landfall in Louisiana should be the most important news of the day. Monday morning I turn on my IPad and still almost all the news was Afghanistan. The entire city of New Orleans in out of power and they want to write about what is going on thousands of miles away. There lies the problem with the news. They go for the sensational than what is really affecting the country.

Afghanistan is old news. Trump surrendered to the Taliban. Most of the withdraw of troops was done before Biden took office. If we were going to get equipment out it should have started long before Biden took office. The Trump administration was under orders not to participate in the transfer of power. Now you act surprised that there is a mess. I am not saying that we shouldn’t be helping but the help should have started during Trump and that plan should have been shared with Biden and the country. The real mess is the way the news has reported this one. I love the freedom of the press but I love the truth the most.

We have some real issues that the news should be out in front more than they are. One is the voter suppression or as I like to put is America’s version of Apartheid. Yes, minority rule by the white race. Do you think I am exaggerating? I really do not think I am. Look at history. Voter suppression and racism have always gone hand in hand. This is not a problem that will go away easily. We thought that the problem was solved in the 60s but the white dominated Supreme Court has slowly stripped away the very protections that I would think that they would want to preserve. People’s right to vote. They would not even address gerrymandering which is a way of diminishing a person’s vote. The very branch of the government that is put in place to protect the Constitution will be the very tool that will bring about the downfall of the Constitution. With White Supremacy will come Fascism! You already see the thugs intimidating people on the street just like they did in Germany. These problems are real and the worse it gets the weaker we as a nation will get.

One problem that the press should always stay focused on is the Jan.6th insurrection. Our democracy was attacked with the intent of overthrowing a branch of our government so they could put a man who was not elected into the White House. That is was, and is, a real threat on our democracy. We have seen the Republican Party put up smoke screen after smoke screen to try a draw the attention of the American people and the American press away from the problem. Our Democracy was attacked and we cannot just forget about it and move on. It was attacked from within. It was attacked by members of the Republican Party and supported by members of Republican Party. Not all of the membership but way too many. The Republicans have actually talked about punishment for those party members that want to investigate the insurrection. They want to punish those members that feel the Constitution of the United States is more important than Trump and the Republican Party. We have a Supreme Court Justice’s wife who may have helped in the planning.  I have seen not real accountability just a lot of accusations and talk of investigations. We need accountability or this Democracy may just fall the next time and there will be a next time.

The American Journalist is and has been the watchdog of our Democracy. In some respect I feel that they are failing at that job too often now. The lying and misinformation from news organizations like Fox News only weakens our democracy. If your democracy is going to fail let if fail because of the truth not because of the lies.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

  Tommy Tuberville made a comment about Biden eating an ice cream cone in New York City. He posted on X that “Hope @JoeBiden enjoyed going out for ice cream in NYC while the rest of the city is afraid of crime and migrants”. If Senator Tuberville was really an informed and knowledgeable lawmaker he would know that Alabama, the State that he represents in the Senate, has a murder rate that is three times the rate of New York City. I wonder if this is a case of another Republican lying and giving misinformation in an attempt to weaken our nation or is he just a politician that doesn’t have a clue to the real problems that face the nation and the State he is suppose to represent. Maybe it would help if Tuberville actually lived in the State he is supposed to represent. If you believe the Washington Post he actually lives in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. I have been to Santa Rosa Beach and I have to admit it is beautiful there but that should not be an excuse for not living in the State you r
  If I was a parent of a handicapped or developmentally disabled child I would be very nervous right now. If I was a parent of a Gay or Tran’s child I would be very nervous. Why? I think that we have a person running for the office of President that thinks that it is ok to mock people with disabilities. President Biden is a stutterer and he has worked hard to overcome that disability. That should be something that should be an inspiration to not only people with disabilities but to the entire nation. He is a man that has risen above his stuttering to achieve remarkable things. By Trump mocking Biden because of his stuttering he is sending a message to the entire country it is ok to bully other people just because they are different or have a disability. Now Biden is a grown man that has had to endure bullying like that all his life and he has come out probably stronger because of it. Not everyone is as strong as Biden. Biden is not the first person that Trump has insulted because a h
  Trump’s oath of office, his lawyers are saying that Trump never took an oath to support the Constitution. Why would his lawyers say this? The reason is because the Presidential oath of office does not have the word “Support” in it. The Presidential oath uses the words “Preserve, Protect, and Defend” the Constitution. Why would the Presidential oath not use the word support? Could it be that the President is held to a higher standard than just support the Constitution? I have read that is the reason why that the words “Preserve, Protect and Defend” are used is to show the greater responsibility the President has to the Constitution. I think Trump’s lawyers want us to believe that Trump had less of a responsibility to our Constitution because the word “Support” is not in his oath. I think just the opposite; he had a stronger responsibility and failed at that responsibility, badly. Maybe that is because he never read the Constitution of the United States. Trump’s lawyers also say Sect