Skip to main content

 

I have survived Ian so far. I live in Iona which is Southwest of Ft. Myers and as the crow flies, less than ten miles for Sanibel. I evacuated to the Ft Myers Shores area which was not as bad as where my condo is but we still had hurricane force winds for hours. We got back to the condo Thursday morning and the destruction could just make you cry. Our condo survived pretty well. We are going to have to have the whole complex reroofed but the condo was dry inside. Storm surge came into our attached garage but didn’t enter the condo so we were the lucky ones considering the eye wall spent hours over where we live. You would not believe the devastation that is all around us. No power, cell phones go in and out, and trying to use the web for information is hit and miss. Some minutes we can get information and then the next is nothing. I am running a generator so when it is running I can get the local news that is up and broadcasting. I may be in the middle of the disaster but most of you guys are getting more information than we are which is frustrating.

Hats off to the local police, fire fighters and all the other local rescue personnel that are on the job. You have to remember that those guys are all in the same boat that I am in and they are still out there doing their jobs. I talked to a couple at the Port of Sanibel Marina and thanked them. There will be many stories of bravery and sacrifice from this storm that maybe Randy Wayne White will write a book about them. One story that I read was how Donald Trump did not evacuate which made me take notice. Why would Donald Trump have to evacuate. The only way that he was in danger was if he used his Sharpie again. We in Ft. Myers and the surrounding area were in a Hurricane. Donald Trump had just a breezy day. He was in the area that many evacuated to. Then on top of that he asked for donations again. What a piece of work.

I have read from Republicans that now is not the time to talk about Climate change. We should not use a disaster like this to make political points. When is the proper time to talk about climate change? If you talk about it before a disaster people are calling it fake news or that climate change isn’t real. If you talk about it during you are trying to take political advantage of a disaster. If you talk about it after you will be told that now is not the time because we have to focus on recovery. After recovery it will go back to climate change not being real and fake news. Do not tell me that now is not the time to talk about climate change and do not tell me that it is fake news. Recovery for this disaster is going to take years, not weeks, not months but years. We have to start slowing down climate change. It is too late to stop it but we have to start working before it kills us all.

I swear every politician in the State is trying to take political advantage of the disaster. I can only watch TV when I am running the generator but it seems that every time I watch the news I see our Governor DeSantis trying to look Presidential. I was watching him talking with the Sherriff at Matlachi which by the way is pretty much gone. He was trying to look very much like the leader that any governor should look like. Of course he has asked for assistance from the Federal Government which you would expect any governor to do. I would just like to remind everyone that when DeSantis was in Congress he voted against relief for New York and New Jersey after Hurricane Sandy. If I remember properly he felt that that hurricane relief was not the role of the Federal Government. During that speech on Matlachi that I saw I never once did I hear DeSantis or the Sherriff mention FEMA or the Biden Administration or any other Federal Agency besides the Coast Guard. Without that Federal Government Florida’s recovery will take much longer. Because of short sightedness on the part of many of the Republican Administrations in Florida our Infrastructure is old and outdated and much of it will have to be rebuilt. We are not much different than Texas. I guess that Mother Nature has to kill people before Florida realizes that it has a problem.

 

Comments

  1. My heart goes out to you. I do fear the same situation for my family in TX when a storm comes in there next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have read from Republicans that now is not the time to talk about Climate change. We should not use a disaster like this to make political points"...

    Sadly, that is the same argument the republicans and NRA make following a mass shooting event to defer discussions about gun safety.

    Hoping your situation improves quickly, your drinking clean water, and monitoring for molds-
    to you and your family's good health-
    -sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wondering how you and your family are doing in this mess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck to you. You have a real mess in Florida, and now the hurricane damage on top of that. I hope it gets better soon. What a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

  Tommy Tuberville made a comment about Biden eating an ice cream cone in New York City. He posted on X that “Hope @JoeBiden enjoyed going out for ice cream in NYC while the rest of the city is afraid of crime and migrants”. If Senator Tuberville was really an informed and knowledgeable lawmaker he would know that Alabama, the State that he represents in the Senate, has a murder rate that is three times the rate of New York City. I wonder if this is a case of another Republican lying and giving misinformation in an attempt to weaken our nation or is he just a politician that doesn’t have a clue to the real problems that face the nation and the State he is suppose to represent. Maybe it would help if Tuberville actually lived in the State he is supposed to represent. If you believe the Washington Post he actually lives in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. I have been to Santa Rosa Beach and I have to admit it is beautiful there but that should not be an excuse for not living in the State you r
  If I was a parent of a handicapped or developmentally disabled child I would be very nervous right now. If I was a parent of a Gay or Tran’s child I would be very nervous. Why? I think that we have a person running for the office of President that thinks that it is ok to mock people with disabilities. President Biden is a stutterer and he has worked hard to overcome that disability. That should be something that should be an inspiration to not only people with disabilities but to the entire nation. He is a man that has risen above his stuttering to achieve remarkable things. By Trump mocking Biden because of his stuttering he is sending a message to the entire country it is ok to bully other people just because they are different or have a disability. Now Biden is a grown man that has had to endure bullying like that all his life and he has come out probably stronger because of it. Not everyone is as strong as Biden. Biden is not the first person that Trump has insulted because a h
  Trump’s oath of office, his lawyers are saying that Trump never took an oath to support the Constitution. Why would his lawyers say this? The reason is because the Presidential oath of office does not have the word “Support” in it. The Presidential oath uses the words “Preserve, Protect, and Defend” the Constitution. Why would the Presidential oath not use the word support? Could it be that the President is held to a higher standard than just support the Constitution? I have read that is the reason why that the words “Preserve, Protect and Defend” are used is to show the greater responsibility the President has to the Constitution. I think Trump’s lawyers want us to believe that Trump had less of a responsibility to our Constitution because the word “Support” is not in his oath. I think just the opposite; he had a stronger responsibility and failed at that responsibility, badly. Maybe that is because he never read the Constitution of the United States. Trump’s lawyers also say Sect